Fisker Automotive, a green American premium sports car company, announced on September 9th that it completed a $65 million Series C round of financing on September 4th. This round was led by a new investor, an affiliate of Qatar Investment Authority (QIA). Existing investors Palo Alto Investors and Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers also participated in the round.
The funds will be used to support the development of the company’s first production car, the Fisker Karma, a four-door plug-in hybrid premium sports car. The company stated that initial deliveries of the Karma are expected to begin in Q4 2009, with annual production projected to reach 15,000.
"We are extremely pleased to have closed our C financing round at this time, particularly in light of the current market conditions," said Henrik Fisker, CEO, Fisker Automotive, Inc. "This shows once again that Fisker Automotive has a solid business plan and a globally experienced automotive team with very strong investors behind the company."
The Fisker Karma was introduced earlier this year at the North American International Auto Show. The following video provides an initial look at the car from this event.
For more information:
- Fisker Automotive – Home page
- Fisker Automotive Raises $65 Million in Series C Financing Round (September 9, 2008)
- Fisker Automotive Receives Major Investment From Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (January 14, 2008)
- Fisker Automotive Unveils Fisker Karma, First Ever Luxury Plug-In Hybrid (January 14, 2008)
- Electric-Car Firms Get Star Investors (The Wall Street Journal, January 14, 2008)