AlwaysOn will present GoingGreen Silicon Valley 2010 from October 12th – 14th in San Francisco. This event wlll provide educational programs and networking opportunities for members of the cleantech/greentech community, including CEOs, entreprenuers, business development officers, researchers, media, and venture capital and private-equity investors.
Panel sessions at GoingGreen Silicon Valley 2010 include:
The Evolution of Green
The transformation to a clean and sustainable civilization encompasses every imaginable technology and industry. With the initial momentum of the favored green sectors slowed by economic reality and political reassessment, what cleantech sectors quietly advance, relatively immune to transient trends? In addition to energy and transportation, how is clean technology creating opportunities in water, agriculture, construction, infrastructure and waste management? How are enabling technologies in materials sciences and genomics catalyzing these opportunities?
- Moderator: J. Hovey Kemp, Partner, Goodwin Procter
- Anup Jacob, Partner, Virgin Green Fund
- Kevin Genieser, Managing Director, Head of Clean Energy Investment Banking, Morgan Stanley
- Marc van den Berg, Managing Director, Vantage Point Venture Partners
- Raj Atluru, Managing Director, Draper Fisher Jurvetson
Financing the Green 21st Century
How do you finance renewables in an economic environment of tight credit and lower prices for conventional energy? How can next-generation infrastructure upgrades using clean technology – not just in energy, but in water, transportation and construction – secure viable financing while still delivering solutions that create a net benefit for consumers instead of an additional economic burden? Is the expectation of some sort of climate or energy legislation holding up investment in energy technology? What emerging energy technologies are so competitive they can emerge regardless of government assistance?
- Moderator: John Gimigliano, Partner, Energy & Sustainability, KPMG
- Langley P. Eide, Vice President, Global Technology Equity Capital Markets
- Trae Vassallo, Partner, Kleiner Perkins Caufield and Byers
- Jon Sakoda, Partner, NEA
- Peter O’Rourke, Senior Advisor to the Executive Director, Loan Program Office, U.S. Department of Energy
At GoingGreen SiliconValley 2010 the AlwaysOn editors will also honor the GoingGreen Top 100 Private Companies. In addition, up to 50 green technology CEOs willl pitch their market strategies to a panel of industry experts in “CEO Showcases.” For additional program information you can view the GoingGreen Silicon Valley 2010 website.
Thanks to our friends at AlwaysOn, readers of Green VC can receive a 50% discount off the standard registration rate by registering via this link. For more information:
On October 26, the Environmental Business Cluster (EBC) and Fenwick & West will present the final program in the Do's and Don'ts for Cleantech Ventures Series, entitled Strategic IP: Building a Portfolio and Managing Exposure. An overview of this program is:
Investors want to make sure your patents, copyrights, trade secrets & trademarks are secure so that the value of their investment will increase, not diminish, over time. One little omission in your company’s key pending patent application could lead to your “giving away the farm” downstream. Sharing IP ownership could lead to the loss of your “crown jewels” to a future spinoff. Hiring an employee from a competitor without the proper safeguards could land you in court.
In this workshop, you’ll learn what to do – and not to do – as you build the IP protfolio of your cleantech start-up and protect it from the claims of others.
The presenter for this session will be:
- Stuart Meyer - Partner, Fenwick & West LLP
This event will take place from 8:30 - 10:30 am at Fenwick & West, 801 California Street, Mountain View, CA 94041. For more information:
On October 14, the Environmental Business Cluster (EBC) will present a program entitled Startup in a Box: Efficient Operations Management. An overview of this program is:
With increased pressure to deliver value efficiently and effectively, startups need all the help they can get. Accurate, comprehensive operational management from the start is a crucial first step to the success of any business. Join us for one hour interactive session on how you can best manage your operations resulting in maximum time spent on value creation and minimum time spent on maintaining the back-end. In this session, you will learn the key steps to ensure every facet of your new business runs smoothly from finance, accounting, HR, legal/contracts, facilities management, general administration, and more.
The presenters for this program will be:
- Brian Hassan – Managing Director, BayPoint Benefits
- Justin Roberts – Managing Director, BayPoint Benefits
- Olga Karobkoff - CEO (Interim CFO for Start-ups), AccuStart
This event will take place from 11:30 am - 1:00 pm at the Environmental Business Cluster, 10 South Third Street, San Jose, CA (directions). Thanks to our friends at EBC, readers of Green VC can obtain discounted tickets when registering in advance by following these steps:
Early pre-registration is recommended for this event. For more information:
West Coast Green will take place from September 30 – October 2 at the Fort Mason Center in San Francisco. This conference and expo focuses on green innovation in the built environment and is expected to draw more than 10,000 attendees. Highlights include:
Thanks to our friends at West Coast Green, readers of Green VC can receive a free tradeshow pass by visiting this page.
For more information:
West Coast Green will take place from September 30 – October 2 at the Fort Mason Center in San Francisco. This conference and expo focuses on green innovation and is expected to draw more than 10,000 attendees. Highlights include:
Thanks to our friends at West Coast Green, readers of Green VC can receive a special 50% discount off full conference or one-day passes by visiting this page.
For more information:
Green VC readers can receive $200 of the 2-day registration for the upcoming conference Communicating Sustainability 2010 Integrating Social Responsibility Into Your Organization's DNA. This event will take place on September 22 and 23. The first day will be held at the headquarters of Applied Materials in Santa Clara, California and the second day will be a virtual conference.
Complete conference information is available here. To receive the discount, enter "cs10greenvc" [without the quotes] when registering online.
On September 23, the Silicon Valley Association of Startup Entrepreneurs (SVASE) will present a program entitled Green Lifestyle – Business of the Future. A summary of this program is:
More and more venture capitalists are now backing green entrepreneurs who aim to invent green-consumer products and technologies for the mass market consumer. The press talks about the new green car on the roads, the solar panels on business rooftops, and the smart-meter devices in homes. What will come next? The panel features industry insiders from PricewaterhouseCoopers, Applied Ventures, Venrock, Cooley LLP and more.
Panelists for this program will be:
- Wayne Hedden, PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Christopher Moran, Vice President, General Manager, Applied Ventures
- Bruce Pasternack, Operating Partner, Venrock
- Moderator: Gordon Ho, Partner, Cooley LLP
This program will be held from 6:00 – 8:30 pm at Cooley LLP, 3175 Hanover Street, Palo Alto, CA 94304. Thanks to our friends at SVASE, readers of Green VC can receive a $20 discount on the non-member ticket price when registering in advance by following these steps:
- Go to the online event registration page
- In the "Registration" section of the page, select your tickets from the Affiliates section
- In the "Activity Questionnaire' section of the page, enter "Green VC" in answer to the question "If registering as an affiliate which organization advertised this event to you?"
For more information:
The SJF Summit on the New Green Economy will take place from September 14-15 in Durham, North Carolina. This event is organized by SJF Advisory Services (affiliated with venture capital fund SJF Ventures) and will bring together business leaders, entrepreneurs, investors, policy makers, and community groups to focus on strategies to expand the green economy.
This conference will feature keynote addresses from Bruce Kahn (Deutsche Bank Climate Change Advisors), Dr. Robert Wallace, (BITHENERGY), Bruce Usher (Columbia Business School), and David Orr (Oberlin). It will also include the following breakout sessions:
Thanks to our friends at the SJF Advisory Services, readers of Green VC can receive a $25 discount on the registration price for this event. To receive the discount, please use code "greenvc08" when registering online. Further program information can be found at:
The Cleantech Group will be presenting Cleantech Focus Chicago: Energy Efficiency in the Built Environment on July 27. This event will bring together investors, enterprises, entrepreneurs, and policy makers to focus on the latest energy efficiency technologies and smart building components. Speakers at this event will include:
- Roger Platt, Senior Vice President, Global Policy and Law, US Green Building Council
- Michael Meehan, Founder, CTO & EVP Corporate Strategy, ENXSuite
- Roland Risser, Program Manager for the U.S. Department of Energy, Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy, Building Technologies Program
- Florence Hudson, Energy & Environment Executive IBM Corporate Strategy
- Jim Anderson, Director of Strategic Marketing & Innovation, Philips Solid State Lighting Solutions
- Andrew DeGuire, Vice President, Strategy & Acquisitions, Johnson Controls
Thanks to our friends at the Cleantech Group, readers of Green VC can receive a $200 discount on the registration price for this event. To receive the discount, please use code "GREENVC" when registering online. Further program information and registration can be found at:
On June 10th, the Cleantech Group LLC will present Cleantech Focus Boston: Navigating Cleantech Growth in China and India. Highlights of this program include:
- A full day agenda, covering strategies from experienced executives who have done business in China and India
- Insights from expert speakers on the Indian and Chinese markets
- Keynote address from Suresh Kumar, Assistant Secretary of Commerce and Director General of the U.S. and Foreign Commercial Service
- Opportunities to network with investors, business leaders, entrepreneurs, and policymakers
In addition, all attendees will receive a complimentary copy of the Cleantech Group's Insight Report "Managing Cleantech IP in China."
Speakers at this program will include:
- Suresh Kumar, Assistant Secretary of Commerce and Director General of the U.S. and Foreign Commercial Service (Keynote)
- Kim Pargoff, Vice President, Cleantech Group
- Dr. Stefan Heck, McKinsey & Company
- David Mohler, Senior VP and CTO, Duke Energy Corp
- Dave Vieau, CEO, A123
Thanks to our friends at the Cleantech Group, readers of Green VC can receive a $200 discount on the registration price for this event. To receive the discount, please use code "BFGREENVC" when registering online. Further program information and registration can be found at: